What goes into the making of a good climate change activist? If, for instance, you were recruiting people to work in climate change advocacy roles, what qualities would you be looking for? Those are some of the questions we will be answering in today’s article. And without further ado, we come to learn that some of the qualities that go into the making of a good climate change activist include:
- Proper information: a good climate change activist is one who is armed with solid facts and figures (about climate change). This is a person who is able to demonstrate how climate change is affecting humanity presently, and how things are likely to get worse with time. Thus, a good climate change activist is one who has, at his fingertips, the facts and figures capable of impacting the minds of even the worst climate change skeptics.
- Good storytelling skills: a good climate change activist is one who is able to use his storytelling skills to get people to see how the climate change facts and figures are likely to affect them personally and directly.
- Good listening skills: a good climate change activist is one who is able to listen well to the questions posed by the people he addresses, and come up with appropriate answers to address their concerns.
- Patience: a good climate change activist knows that he may not be able to convince hardcore skeptics in one day. He therefore approaches advocacy work with lots of patience.
- Conviction: a good climate change activist is one who is driven by conviction, rather than one who does advocacy for the sake of money. He is the sort of person who would engage in climate change advocacy even if he didn’t stand to derive a direct personal gain from it. He is, for instance, the sort of person who is even willing to forego things like the Capital One getmyoffer, in favor of climate change advocacy work. That is to say he is the sort of person who is willing to continue doing climate change advocacy work, even if he knows that by doing so, he would be ineligible to, say, apply for credit cards at getmyoffer.capitalone.com. Conversely, the worst person you can work with is a climate change activist (or any other sort of activist) who lacks conviction in the cause he is advocating for.